The Cake Gal is not currently taking orders. Please feel free to enjoy the photos. New cake photos/stories will be coming soon. The Cake Gal plans to take orders again in early 2012. Thank you!!!





Photos of My Cakes (scroll down to read the stories about all this sugar)...

Tuesday

A Hummingbird Cake

If you're my family member, guess what you're gonna get for your birthday from me? Yep, a cake... But, my main problem with these cakes is I don't have an "order." I don't usually have any decoration requests... I have free rein!!! Scary.

Today is my beautiful Mom's birthday! WHAT TO MAKE FOR THE WOMAN WHO INSPIRED ME??? (tap my fingers, rack my brain...)

Well, she's an avid and amazing gardener (among many other talents)... (I start coming up with ideas)... Then, she requested hummingbird feeders for her birthday. Ah ha, a clue. An idea for how to decorate her cake. Other than that, I knew she wanted a "vanilla" cake. And so, this cake was born...


A vanilla cake with buttercream grass, fondant fence, and gumpaste flowers. And, oh yea, the modeling chocolate hummingbird. He was fun to make!


I don't know if you can tell but the hummingbird has "feathers." I learned alot about hummingbirds making this cake. This guy is a male ruby-throated hummingbird and he's entirely edible (except for his support wire, of course).

Happy Birthday, Momma! I love you!

1 comment:

  1. i love this cake, im thinking of making my mom this cake for mothers day, how did you do the humming bird and what did you use to make the grass, thanks!

    ReplyDelete